Monday, May 21, 2012

Story from Eldon

Here is a brief account of what went down when I arrived in Juba from Rumbek on April 19th, 2012.

Dominique, the UN HAS airport field representative picked me up from the C-FPSA and drove me to the terminal and said to go check in inside.

Once inside I was stopped by the Military and told to check in at the Immigration Counter for a passport stamp (which I had when I first arrived). I also had the letter of permission from the South Sudanese Government that authorized me by name to enter and depart freely with the UN HAS project. The immigration person (a military officer) refused to acknowledge the paper and said it wasn't valid any more and that I needed a new Exit Visa at the cost of $100 US. These dollars had to be in new bills printed after 2006.

They wouldn't accept the South Sudanese pounds. When I got out to find a taxi (normally there would be dozens of them) none were in sight. I took my bags out of the parking area to the Airport Road. No taxis, no motorcycles, nor cars.

I walked over to the Airport Restaurant, from where I could see a massive police and military blockade holding and turning all traffic away from the Airport Road.

I waited a couple of hours and there was no change.  In fact, word came to the restaurant that Airport Road was closed. I asked at the restaurant for a taxi or a vehicle who could get me to the Oasis Camp where the UN made arrangements for me to stay. They found a business man who said he could for $100 US. He knew a back alley way past Airport Road and the blockade.

At the city centre there was another police blockade where the police demanded $200 US cash to allow us to go on.

No receipt was given nor from the man driving me. By then I realized what cash I had left wasn't going to get me back to the airport in the morning for my flight to Nairobi. My only contact tot he outside world was through Skype with my wife. I asked her to contact Yellowknife to get the UN to have one of the UN vehicles pick me up and give them my location, address, etc. and I asked her to call you and let you know what was happening.

The next morning a UN minivan came and got a Kenyan Air Crew and gave me a ride as well. They got us past the blockades that were still there.

Thank you for your help.

But I was becoming allergic to AK47's by the dozen, pointed my way.

Regards,
Eldon

2 comments:

  1. What an experience. God was really with you. So glad you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an experience is right! Thank you for sharing your story. So glad things worked out and you were able to get where you needed to be and to get home safely at the end of your time in Africa.

    ReplyDelete