Friday, April 10, 2020

For Our Dear Friend Carol

Today ( April 9th )  would have been Carol's birthday!  Can you imagine how she would have liked to have celebrated it?

I am sure it would have been been with a lot of colour and class.

Since the service for Carol has had to be postponed we would like to take a little time to remember her fondly on this blog.

Carol with Roland at their home.  ( PC: Bernadette Jarrard)

Bernadette and Carol - taken by Bernadette's daughter, Sonja

Shortly after hearing that Carol had died, I saw someone posting photos and a few little sentences on FB about what type of lady Carol was. The photos were bright and cheerful and captured Carol so well.  I messaged Bernadette and we chatted some and after hearing about her love for Carol and having heard years ago about Carol's love for Bernadette,  I invited Bernadette to share a few of her memories and time with Carol.

Carol was like a second mother to me through the years, in fact we’ve been friends since I came with my Missionary family from Kenya to Parksville in the summer of 1990. Having worked and lived in Kenya for 8 years I had lost touch with how most Canadians lived or dressed. Carol quickly stepped into the mentor role - taking me to delightful clothing consignment shops to help me get updated. It was so much fun shopping with her and afterwards I emerged - popping with colour! In fact I never met a bolder yet quiet spoken woman such as Carol. She wasn't afraid of colours and she knew how to wear, sew and paint them. She wasn't afraid to mix up patterns either. Pink floral patterns stood against lime green plaids. Shocking Fuchsia pink walls next to dark grey or yellow ones. Lime,turquoise,yellow pillows lay side by side on her white chesterfield. It was a feast for the eyes and wonderful to visit her and see how she had decorated this season's theme on her dining room table. Many beautiful meals later (won't forget Carol’s yummy vegetarian meatloafs and wonderful whipped up deserts.) We kept in touch. Carol was always there, listening, advising, sharing photos of recipes and home decorating via Pinterest. Now, it feels so strange to me. I still reach for the phone, dial and then pause... I realize she's not there anymore, but she will always be there, in my heart.

Cooking and creating in her bright kitchen.  PC:bj
Carol plumping a pillow.  PC:bj


Visiting time at BC camp meeting at Hope.  photo belongs to bj 

Did you have an opportunity to visit Carol in her home?  There was so much beauty around and lovely things to enjoy looking at.  Colour and pattern were her thing and they looked exactly right. Photo by bj
Carol with her granddaughter, Jamie. 

Carol and her friend, Donna.  Island friends stay true friends it looks like.  PC:bj
Busy sewing in her home. PC:bj


Carol was so excited for this wedding.  On one visit with her she told me all about it.  Here she is attending the reception and having that big smile on her face.  From Elle Rojas - FB page photos. 


 Granddaughter Elle Rojas shared these thoughts about her Grama.

On February 29, 2020 we lost our Grandma, CarolRoland Stickle. She was an incredible and inspiring woman. Here are a few of the MANY lessons my Grandma taught me:

- There is ALWAYS enough room at the dinner table, everyone is welcome.
- Pray for people, anyone and everyone. Keep praying, every day.
- Possessions are fun and pretty. However, material items are worthless compared to human relationships.
- There is no such thing as too much colour.
- There is no such thing as too much whipping cream.
- If someone is difficult to be with, spend as much time with that person as they need. Illuminate God's love always.
- Nothing should be boring or plain. I.e. store your milk in an antique pitcher.
- At church, there is no excuse for your Bible and outfit not to match.
- Leave your door unlocked, everyone is welcome.
- Give, give give. Give your time, money, talents, food, etc. Share God's blessings.

I am so blessed she was my Grandma. As our Grandpa reminded us, we do not have hope, but rather the assurance of seeing Grandma in heaven. I can't wait to see you again Grandma. ❤️ T


Roland and Carol enjoying Julie and Jeff's wedding despite the rain showers.  PC: gq
Carol told great children's stories.  PC: gq
the children enjoyed listening as did the adults. PC:gq

a wonderful couple  PC:gq
Helping Alison figure out her flowers for her wedding.  Such a helping person and also so excited for the girls getting married too.  They loved her advice and all she did for them.  PC:gq


Carol doing her part at a cooking class at OCC


At the cooking class. 
Another story telling time by Carol....her matching shoes to her skirt.  PC:gq


Carol had such interesting Sabbath School's.  This time she was dressing the manikin and each item she explained about.  Very creative.  PC:gq

Beverly helping Carol with the dressing. PC:gq

The finished product.  PC:gq
I think she enjoyed the colour pink and she enjoyed flowers.  PC:gq

A beautifully set table. PC:gq

Carol was a lady of such creativity doing diverse things.  She could bake and cook, she could be a wonderful hostess - along with Roland being a wonderful host, she could play the organ and tell stories. She could help out in VBS and cooking school. Carol did not seem to be afraid being seen and doing her part and doing it well  She could greet people at the door at church and at her home.  One of the things I appreciated about Carol was the way she wrote little emails to tell me how she enjoyed this blog.  Once she told me that she saved  every photo of Roland that was put on the blog.  That really made me happy to know she was saving and enjoying the photos.  How it helped her feel like she was not missing out on everything at OCC.  She also let me know she prayed for me.  That is the best feeling in the world - to know someone is praying for me/you.  I will miss Carol very much but I will try to be more generous, be more willing, be more caring.  Rest well... for now. See you in the morning.
GQ

8 comments:

  1. A lovely lovely lady indeed. She did the flowers for our wedding too!! So generous with her time and expertise :) - Erinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is right. Was your wedding the first one of the OCC girls she did?

      Delete
  2. Our Carol - we all got a share in her -- love these photos and I feel excited and inspired to see how lovely and colorful she looked.
    So happy to have known Carol. Loretta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she had many friends and lots of colours.

      Delete
  3. Carol was such a joy to know. I always knew she accepted me as I was at a particular time. When down, she encouraged, when excited she was too, she shared so much with everyone, always encouraging always keeping us in prayer and remembering things about each one of us. We have been SO VERY blessed to have her in our lives! Bernadette and Elle have said it so beautifully. She and Roland just made a wonderful couple.

    Thank you,

    Jerrie Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to read the comments and write ups from each person as it gives just a slightly different view of Carol.

      Delete
  4. An amazing lady, a loving friend, one who had an absolute knack for decorating. It was always fascinating to me to see the beauty and coordination of all things on a dining table - meals were delicious too!! Carol and Roland... a very special couple in my life. Happy Birthday Carol and Chris. With love,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Carol had a twin sister. Thanks for reminding me.
      Carol made the table very interesting and fun to sit at.

      Delete